Monday, February 09, 2009

Full Moon

This weekend is the first full moon of the new year according to the lunar Korean calendar. There are a bunch of traditions that Koreans do for this in hopes that the year is set on the right path. Saejin asked me to join him at his parents house to celebrate but once I heard the ultra healthy vegetarian menu being served I stayed home and gorged myself on a greasy zinger burger from KFC.

Bloated, I headed into work this morning where my co teacher asked me if I had eaten any peanuts. This isn't the normal reply to my "How are you today?" question so I knew there had to be a story here. Sally then told me that for the first full moon, Koreans are supposed to crack open a peanut in their mouth while making a wish for the new year. She then handed me a full bag of peanuts to wish on. I have since finished and my desk is now littered in shells, peanut skins and odd peanuts that looked off. Hopefully I preformed the ritual right and I'm given the right numbers to choose for this weekend's lottery. Fingers crossed.

2 comments:

Shells Bells said...

Happy birthday Cammy! I hope you win the lottery so you can come and visit me in the UAE :) xoxox

Smokingloon said...

That would be amazing. Fingers crossed.