Friday, March 27, 2009

Sick

Last week I made a 8:00 am call into work saying I was sick. Technically I wasn't 100 percent sick but I also wasn't 100 percent. Skip ahead a few days and I did fall ill. I got a huge fever and then chills three minutes later. Seeing as I had already skipped a day of work (a huge no-no in Korea where kids come to school hardly able to walk and the work force are contractually obliged to infect the office) I didn't want to push the special foreigner card too far asking for another day off. This meant I'd come home each night and collapse on the heated floor to just rest. This also meant the dishes continued to pile up in the sink. I do live with Saejin and he could of at anytime done the dishes but he is the oldest Korean son in his family.

For those lucky enough to be born into this role, housework is done between the time you leave the the house and before you return. Rumours have it that it may be your mom but Moms cook, bring you glasses of juice and tuck you in, how could they find time to wash dishes, do landry and/or sweep? This is what I live with. If I take ill the house is overrun with clutter. Credit to Saejin he does cook when I eat at home but all the rest of the housework is left to me. This weekend will mostly be used to tidy up. I'm already looking forward to next weekend so I can get out and enjoy the spring weather.

2 comments:

Shells Bells said...

I can't imagine SJ washing dishes or doing house work..although that sucks you got stuck with all the work feeling as crappy as you were. I hope you feel better and can get out an enjoy the sunshine. I think you should go find a patio and drink beer for me :) Perhaps Nashville or Baby Guiness...

Smokingloon said...

Drinks will definitely be on this weekend. SJ does do some Housework but it usually happens when I am away on vacation. He does cook and that's good enough for me when I'm feeling fine.