Wednesday, April 01, 2009

The Rocket

I have been slowly weening myself off of TV. I spend way too much time downloading crap and watching crap. I have given up on Prison Break which used to be a favorite of mine because this year and last turned out to be ridiculous. I stopped watching almost all reality TV (except the Amazing Race) when I found myself distracted by how dumb people are and how poorly they speak English seeing as it's their first language. Now I wish I used my extra time on useful stuff but I have just finally made the effort to catch up on the movies I buy but never get around to watching.

Cheap DVDs are everywhere in Seoul and if you find a good reliable source you can catch almost any major movie released. Of course they are illegal but they are so popular here that major American studios after years of trying to get the market cleaned up finally gave up and closed down their DVD departments and left. The guy I go to once a month has recently been carrying a few Canadian movies.


I just watched The Rocket: The Maurice Richard Story, and loved seeing the legend he is come to life. You can see why all of Quebec loved this giant of a player. He never backed down and helped change the way the French were treated by the NHL. Other movies I want to recommend:
Slumdog Millionaire, just because anything about India is good in my mind.
Doubt, I didn't want to see this at all and then I started to hear great things about it. I put it in one night predicting to fall asleep in front of but the story and acting are amazing.
The Visitor, if you are alive you will definitely feel something watching this one.
The Wrestler, see above comment and it applies to this movie too. I still think it is the best movie from last year by far and I hate Wrestling.

3 comments:

Shells Bells said...

I loved The Visitor! One of the best films I've seen in a longggg time!

Jes said...

They make Canadian movies???

Smokingloon said...

Some of the greatest movies of all time have come out of Canada... do you not remember the classic Porky's franchise?