Thursday, January 22, 2009

Making Lemonade

These last three weeks I have been doing my best to work. Half days. It's at these moments that I love my job. It's winter camp time and kids can come to study if they want (read parents force them). This year they changed it up a bit and put two age groups together (6th/5th grades, 4th/3rd, 2nd/1st) for one week intensive studying of a hard 3 hours straight. I do like it better this way. We have a lot more time together do to a lot of stuff. Skip this part if you don't want to know what we do. The first hour is phonics/reading time, followed by the lesson and finishing off with a fun activity/singing and the all important 15 minutes of a movie.

On Fridays we spend the last hour making fresh lemonade and having a party. It has been a great success. The kids pretend to like it and I don't have to teach. Win, win.


I give them the ingredients and then take them through it step by step.


The good groups pay attention.


I then go around sampling the (sour!!!) product.


And choose the one that asks for more sugar.


Two minutes after I got this groups picture they spilt their lemon juice all over the top of the computer and all over the floor. Tomorrow is the last time we try this but even if they also dump their work all over the floor I know that I have a week off work for Solal(?) aka Chinese New Year.

4 comments:

Darth Gateau said...

you must have the patience of a saint. I get cross managing a team of moody women (or sulky teenagers fro mtheir behaviour) so kids would be a nightmare. Actually, maybe not, kids are perky a lot of the time.

Jes said...

Going anywhere?

Smokingloon said...

Kids are way too perky at times and that was why the one team spilt their juice. Minutes before the spill I predicted it would happen but they didn't listen.

When the bowl tumbled, I did the mature thing and laughed before making them clean it all up. Luckily for them my favorite student was in that team so I stole lemonade from all the other teams so they could try it.

Not doing anything for the holidays Jes just waiting practicing for our dance off when you get back.

Jes said...

I hope all that bowling is helping your dance moves cause I've got quite a routine down for the ENTIRE Slumdog Millionaire Soundtrack!