Thursday, January 22, 2009

Seoul International Photography Festival

When I first came to Korea, I had to land at Gimpo airport. The place was small, dark and going from the international to the domestic building I was sardined on a bus not 100 percent sure where I was off to. I was doubting my reasons for coming here. I was also starving and couldn't read the menus and besides hearing about Kimchi I knew nothing of Korean food. The "hamburgers" they were selling all looked like 7-11 versions of a burger and I just prayed when I made my connecting flight I would find a better Korea. Luckily I did and since then have come to love the place (even Gimpo know that it has been updated.)

Seoul Station used to be housed in a gorgeous old building (it's now housed in a gorgeous modern one) and about four(ish) years ago they closed it down. The place has since sat empty and gone to ruins inside. When I heard that an International Photography festival was being housed there I was super excited to check out the art but more importantly to me the station itself. A couple of weeks ago I convinced Saejin it would be fun to check out. The art was great but seeing the place was even better.


Don't quote me but I believe the Japanese built this place and even though Korea was under occupation, I love this building.


The first floor was made to feel museum like and I hope they get enough money from the festival to fix the structure from the art up.


Half of upstairs was remodelled and looking great. This was my favorite photo in the exhibition. The apartment captured here had different things going on in each room from mundane normal life to the kinky world.


Upstairs and Saejin's favorite photo of the day. (Not the picture in the background but his own personal picture.)


A Korean photographer whose stuff I really liked.

No comments: