Thursday, January 22, 2009

Seoul City Hall Ice Skating Rink

Working half days the past three weeks has led to many, many social afternoons. One can only bowl (it's no longer a hobby, it's a sad sad hobby) so much. Chan Young came up with the idea of meeting up for some ice skating. Now, I am not great at it but when your Canadian father takes it upon himself to build a rink each winter in the back yard there is a childhood love for the sport.


In front of Seoul City Hall (now under renovation) they always place a rink. For a mere dollar you can rent skates and go to town for an hour doing laps on the dullest blades ever. This is the best view from the rink of of Seoul Plaza Hotel.


Chan Young and I waiting for our hour on ice.


Chan Young resting after (seriously here) 3 laps. This was only his second time on skates but he did a great job. (My second time on skates had me being encouraged to push a baby wooden chair around our rink.)


Look at me now.


Chul Gyu and Chan Young doing their best couple skate.


Chul Gyu and I "racing". I won but would like to thank the competition for coming out.


Kim Yu Na (Korea's top figure skater- a top five skater now out there), has triple Sal chowed (I think only boys do this) or toe loop jumped (don't ask how I know these terms, I'm Canadian) her way to international fame on the figure skating circuit. Chan Young will never be famous for skating but his impersonation of figure skating is uncanny. 9.7 from the Canadian judge.

2 comments:

Jes said...

What's with those gloves? Did you guys go hunting after your hour on the ice was over?

Ant found some sort of clay shooting thing you can do in Seoul. I think that should replace bowling as the new group hobby!

Of course, we'd have to find a way to get Joel out of Itaewon. ;-)

Smokingloon said...

You have to wear gloves when skating. I got a pair for 500 won that they give away at gas Stations but Chan Yeong's were from skiing.

As for changing bowling. I will try shooting (but may cry from the noise) if you make it out for a series of games.