Thursday, April 02, 2009

Bookmobile





Growing up whenever we saw the bookmobile in the local strip mall's parking lot was always an excuse to stop the car. It was a converted RV that brought the library to your area and I loved when we got to enter to borrow books for the week. I usually had to be rushed into making my final pick as I could have spent hours searching the bookcases. Starting out young and having parents who read made it easy for me to pick up the hobby that I still continue to do.

Today I saw my first Korean version of this pull up into the school's playground. The kids seemed excited to see it and when I went out to check it out the kindergarten class was busily searching for the right book. I love the fact that Korean kids read so much. Each day the first twenty minutes before class the kids have to go into the library, take out a book before returning to class to read it. The principal made this rule a year and a half ago after the school did poorly on a standardised test. He said his son was an avid reader and he is now a dentist so he wants our students to fall in love with literature so they too will tackle plague and gingivitis. Not sure how well it worked but Tuesday the kids took another nationwide test so we will see if his theory worked its magic when results come back to school later.

1 comment:

Jes said...

I used to love the Bookmobile!! I wish they had an English bookmobile here that would park itself outside of my house!!