Monday, April 06, 2009

Jjimjilbang

The idea of getting nekkid with a bunch of strangers, showering before sweating in hot tubs then putting on provided gym shorts and T-shirts to head to a second floor (where Koreans sit around eating hard boiled eggs while watching bad Korean television) in between bouts of sweating in dry saunas isn't exactly how I would choose to spend a Sunday but it is what I did. It was super relaxing.

Near our place is a great jjimjilbang. The upstairs dry sauna's are amazing. The first room we went into is a salt room where you lie down on hot dry salt stones and drain yourself of water. To replenish we then bought huge crafts of ice tea and stuck our feet in bags to tackle the foot massage machine. After ten minutes of torture we sat on the massage chairs that work over your whole body for just one dollar. Saejin wanted more chair time so I went back to have my feet worked over. We ended the day heading to an outside section where there is a clay oven you crawl into to cook yourself in. It was my favorite. There are about three other rooms (including an ice room) but we skipped them.

That night I had the best sleep I have had in ages. I may have to go back again this weekend.

No comments: