Thursday, December 14, 2006

More Overtime in January

My last nine Wednesday afternoons I have had to teach teacher's from all over Gwangmyung. It's considered overtime work for me but instead of earning a cheque for it I just get extra time off. Seeing as my day is mostly time off, imagine a baker working for cupcakes. It's definitely not the ideal set up but I've dealt with it and next Wednesday will be our last class together. The teacher's have been a fun class but I don't enjoy teaching adults. Filling my Wednesday afternoon's with TV, Spider solitaire and reading is simply, much better.

It looks like I will be seeing a couple of the teacher's again as they have asked me to teach their children on the side. Doing these privates is where English teacher's can make a lot of easy money. You charge by the hour and I'll just say it's an unreal the amount we can ask for. I always feel guilty when I have to tell the parents how much it costs for an hour. Because it's such a large amount I'm considering taking my price down because the class will be very close to here (I can't say where because it is illegal doing privates) but the commute will be very, very, very short.

It will be good to have the extra cash again as last year I didn't have any privates (all the privates I was offered were for adults). We decided to talk about it in our last class together because the ladies are worried about our being able to communicate over the phone. Hopefully it works out and hopefully I will still be charging the going rate and not get consumed by guilt. We'll see.

No comments: