Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Sign Language



These are some pictures from my 10 minute trek to the bus stop. In this first picture you can see many older buildings from my area. You may be able to notice they all have signs that jump out over the sidewalk. In Korea, addresses are known only by a select few in the post office so if you want to direct someone somewhere you need to use landmarks and well known stores as your guide. The giant new CGV building in the background is where Saejin and I have been going to watch the latest movies.


This building is the best example of just how much Koreans love signs. In fact if these signs were removed from the building there is an urban legend that suggests the thing will collapse. This two story building has more signs plastered on it than actual businesses operating from it.


This last picture is of the entrance to the Gwang Myeong Market. This is a cool little market that has small covered streets running all over the place. You can find almost everything you need inside. There are butchers, fruit and veggie sellers, clothes, blankets, supermarkets and some stinky shops(fish vendors) all selling stuff inside. I usually only go here to buy some fine, fine kimchi mandoo (steamed kimchi dumplings) from one of the restaurants. The big building next door is a huge department store and also (again) where the CGV is.

3 comments:

Darth Gateau said...

kimchi is something of a revelation to me. It has started to pop up in restaurants and food places here in the UK a lot quite recently. Amazing. I love it...

Smokingloon said...

I love it too although it did take me a couple of weeks of constant sampling to really start loving it. I now eat it daily and have to carry gum with me all the time because there is nothing worse than kimchi breath.

Darth Gateau said...

kimchi breath!? I never even thought of that...

Now thrown into panic and trying to recall how many people I've spoken to with potential breath issues...