Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Malaysia...Pulau Langkawi

I flew into Langkawi on my third day in Malaysia and had three great days resting up on the beach. The only reason I left was to meet up with Hannah in K.L but once she confirmed it as being the best place she'd been to on the mainland I booked a ticket back and stayed here for the last six days of my trip. Langkawi is a Northern island just next to Thailand, the government made it a duty free zone so it's very affordable. This beach here was the busiest but the worst on the island. It never got deeper than my waist and tiny baby jellyfish were everywhere making it a tingling swim.


Right near my first hotel was a "living museum" that basically just acted as a way for farmers to capitalize off of tourists by opening up their rice paddies. In the main building there was also a day spa along with a Thai restaurant that looked out over the green fields.


The cable car park and peak were definitely the highlights of non-beach activities. The coolness of the peak was exactly what I needed after a Dutch guy twisted my arm into drinking with him the night before.


My favorite resort on the island a cheap simple place run by the nicest German lady. The beach was a two minute walk through the woods and was much better than the beach I spent my first three days at. A quieter, deeper, jellyfish free beach that was definitely my favorite on the island.


The worst place I stayed in on the island. It was right on the beach, had lots of people to watch and a restaurant no more than five steps from my patio. Sounds great until you opened the door and there was sand everywhere and the place had locked in smell of backpackers. I had been having such good luck with places on the trip that I assumed this last place would be great. It wasn't but it also wasn't so bad especially when having a cocktail and watching the sunset each night.

One of the only pictures of me on the trip. This is the owner of a restaurant I used to frequent. Jason is super kind and had loads of advice about sights on the island. The other pictures are our Jason and his wife and in the other are some of the other chatty locals that used to hang out at the restaurant's bar.

No comments: