Monday, February 25, 2008

My Stalker

The grade six students are off to new schools around the city but one of my favorites refuses to go. Sung Hee is the smallest in the class and is part of the special education program. She knows two words in English (hi/bye) but mixes them up to get a reaction out of me. When classes are on she is constantly roaming the halls (her grade six teacher doesn't make her stay in class) and she makes her way in to visit whenever she can. Our conversations are in Korean and always review what has already been established. "Where's your mom? Canada. Where's your dad? Canada. Do you have brothers? Yes, two. Where are your brothers? Canada." Throw in some jokes about her refusing to give me candy and then my urges for her to get back to class and you can see the relationship is one sided.

The other day she picked up my hand phone/cellphone/mobile (which word is right?) and her normal joke is to change the setting into a Korean. This last time she picked it up she called herself and stored my phone number. I now get multiple calls a day. I try my best to not answer but then I get the text messages begging me to answer. Her latest text was the "??????????????????????????????????????" after ignored two early morning calls and then hung up on the third call because she wouldn't stop talking or reply to my goodbyes in Korean.

In Canada a student having your number would get you thrown into the nearest jail but here it's normal and many times necessary for students to have their teachers numbers. I understand she is in the special ed program and try my best to be nice but this is getting ridiculous. My newest hope is that her new English teacher is far nicer than me and has Korean language skills and the patience to entertain her for hours. She is great but man alive I'm bored of guessing what your doing and or eating at the moment you decided to call.

No comments: