Saturday, October 25, 2008

Cough, Hack, Sniffle, Snort.

The fall here has been long, warm and the perfect breading grounds for giant, hungry mosquitoes. (I hadn't really noticed them until Seajin went off to Singapore for a few days and because they tend to ignore my blood when other options are available I suddenly became popular and woke up with a head spotted like a fourteen year old.) the week thought the weather has suddenly moved into it's late fall stage being a wet, cold mess that reminds people that they own jackets.

It has also brought on a rash of maladies and because parents in Korea will send a kid to school as long as they can walk, it seems that everyone around has a cough or a sniffle. I was feeling rough from Wednesday to Friday and while teaching my sixth graders there was a point early in the class right after I coughed into my armpit the rest of the class picked up on their own need to spread germs. It was interrupting the reading we were doing so I stopped and made everyone cover their mouths (Korean kids aren't taught this) and gave them permisson to hack away. They obediently responded and I then made a new rule that the next person to cough, hack, sniffle or snort would be sent out. Unfortunately for me the kids were listening and when I next sniffled they quickly called me out. I hate hypocrites so I bowed my head and took the next couple of minutes staring into the class through the big double glass doors.

1 comment:

Shells Bells said...

Feel better Cammy xoxox My kids are all coughin and sniffiling too..I'm waiting for mine to start.