Thursday, October 16, 2008

A New Law

Driving has and never will be my strong point (ask the garage door I backed into to validate this statement). What I am good at is back seat driving. No matter how unappreciated this valuable skill is I still freely give it. I am proud of my sense of direction, take me somewhere once and 97 percent of the time (I've done the math) I can navigate my way back. Unfortunately for me when I see a GPS mounted on a car's dashboard I'm left feeling redundant. These things in theory are amazing and they turn driving into the ultimate video game. Windows pop up when you near a new task, distances count down and the estimated time shown gives you a goal to beat. When you add in a warning voice that wisely champions you along with charm suddenly you have made driving fun. It really is a fool proof system.

That is until you enter humans into the equation and getting lost three times today I should blame the principal at the wheel but he isn't alone. Sadly I have now been in cars having to reroute mid drive more times than I want to admit. Sure, I should of done more than willing the drivers to turn with mind control and hidden arm restures to point out the drivers blindness/deafness but I believe in these GPS'. So seeing as I just watched the last American debate I want to talk presidential for a moment and put forth a new law. I propose that before anyone is sold one of these gizmos they must climb into a booth where they prove they understand how the f'ing things work.

2 comments:

RL said...

Remember when Pav drove us out, and she drove so damn slow, the GPS unit kept beeping to turn, and we were both in the back seat (popping beers) pressing our imaginary gas pedals? AND she missed every turnoff going 25kph?!
PS the word verification for this one was "fsckyu" - coincidence? I think not!

Darth Gateau said...

you're lucky. No-one gives a hoot about anything on the roads here. The only thing drivers in UAE care about is if their horn works, apart from that it's traffic mayhem!