Wednesday, October 15, 2008

One of the (many) pitfalls of being Canadian

When I came over to Korea I had the whole Canadiana thing down. I had a flag on my backpack (removed quickly and quietly after arriving), loved beer and followed hockey scores as closely as I could. It was much harder back then but has improved with companies realising the Internet is our friend.

Four years ago, I got highlights from TSN. Three years ago I could find the torrents and if I successfully avoided scores it was like watching live. Last year I found some illegal sites that let you watch live but this meant some fuzzy, jumpy action but when you needed a fix it was all good. This year I am in heaven. I just bought a years subscription to the NHL Gamecentre Live and this let's me see any game being televised live with perfect sound and little to no buffering. To make the day even more orgasmic I can watch four games at a time and click over to the ones where good stuff is happening. Completely over the top but I can live with this and I did.

I took advantage of a morning with a couple of spares and caught most of the Calgary game. Unfortunately lunch made me miss all but the last three minutes of the third period and when I got home tonight to check out the highlights I see that TSN (because they televised it) now has the full game minus commercials on demand. (The hockey gods are real!) In their honour I bought a beer and am now watching all the fun. Life is good.

To end this giant piece of Canada, I have to bring up a subject only Canadians will understand and talk about. The hockey song on TSN is wrong. It doesn't belong on any other network than our beloved CBC. What makes it worse is that TSN are seriously addicted to it and have abused its history by using it way too much. It is to be used on a Saturday only and then just at the beginning of the game. OK, I'm done I have to get back to the Flames first win.

2 comments:

Shells Bells said...

Awesome you went for it huh? What do you think about the election results?

Shells Bells said...

Oh here is something you may find interesting..

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Forget-ticket-prices-Breaking-down-the-NHL-Beer?urn=nhl,114900