Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Staff Christmas Party

Last night (December 23rd) the school went out for Christmas dinner. We started the afternoon off bowling. We were split into four teams of three where Mr. Oh made a rule that the three losing teams had to each buy a round of drinks later in the night. Trouble here is that in Korea "a round" of drinks is multiple drinks in one bar, the next round means more drinks but in a new location. My team was made up of the English department and we stunk. We lost bad.

Over a dinner of stuffed roasted duck I did my best to refute each and every drink offered to me. The rest of the staff drank way more than I have ever seen any of them drink. The principal never drinks and so when he got up to leave he echoed what MR Oh had been saying that nobody was to leave until all four rounds were done. There is an unwritten law that you should all stick together so once the principal was gone and I saw the other "non drinking" teachers start tipping back soju I knew I was stuck going out.

It turned into a good night predictably ending in lots of drink for some and some good dancing fun in a singing room. Today I feel alright just a tad sleepy but luckily I made up a story while out drinking about having to make a potato salad for our Christmas Eve party so the vice principal gave me permission to leave the school right after lunch.

No comments: