Thursday, May 14, 2009

Summer of '84

I found out about this list of summer movies released in 1984 and was amazed by how many of these movies are still well known. There are many out there saying 1984 was the best summer for movies. Now the summer movies are all big budgeted, full of explosions, bad stories and brands that expect people will go to them no matter how shitty they are. I think the reason so many of these movies are still popular is that they were some of the first ones on video (in both Betamax and VHS), movie channels and replayed every holiday.


These are my top three picks from that summer and I would still sit though them now.


These are my next three picks and The NeverEnding Story is the only one on this list I actually saw at the theatre.


Comedies and Sci-Fi movies end my top ten from that summer.


Honorable mention to this next group and I remember seeing all of them but I imagine they are as bad as their movie posters sell them as being. I would give the Muppet Take Manhattan another go because I remember having ordered the picture book for the movie at school from the monthly book sale. They used to send home fliers full of books you could choose to order with a cheque and five weeks later it showed up, do schools still do these sales?


I have never actually seen these last four but imagine now they would be the ones I would watch. There were a bunch of other movies also released that summer (May to August) but I didn't know any of them. Anyway yesterday was test day and as you can tell I had a lot of free time on my hands. Can't wait until this weekend and the planned BBQ for Saturday.

2 comments:

The Traveling Teacher said...

bbq? :( I wanna come too!! You haven't seen Purple Rain!!!??

Smokingloon said...

Wish you could come too. No Purple Rain here but will eventually get around to seeing it.