Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Blame Canada

In the end it wasn't a blizzard or the rocks being thrown up into the windshield of the car that harmed me. It wasn't the many wild animals I came across roaming the streets that took a round out of me (rabbits, white tailed deer, squirrels and a variety of birds are scary to some, ask Saejin.) It wasn't even the fact I hardly slept more than six inches of the floor for two weeks either. What took me out was hanging out with friends who had just had the flu.

I got back to Korea on Friday and was feeling alright but a lot more jet lagged than usual. Saturday morning I woke up feeling like crap and from then on my condition worsened. My pores were constantly flowing and the chills that attacked my body each step I took were more than I expected to get from my friends. I spent almost two full days laying and staring up at the roof without a thought in my head.

Yesterday I went to work but really shouldn't have. Luckily it is the start of my three hour a day schedule and so at noon I was the first to leave heading straight for the hospital. I wish I had a picture of the layout of the hospital because it would of made a great Family Circle cartoon mapping out all the places I was made to walk to.

I'm a firm believer in free health care, profiting off of the sick is disgusting. In Korea it's a for profit system where the government only pays a minor fraction of the cost. So while meeting with the doctor I kept telling him my friends had just had the flu and I strongly believe I caught it. He then went through all my symptoms and thought I may have the flu. We were definitely connecting here. He then told me I needed to have a swollen gland in my neck sonogramed. If this were Canada I'd of been told to take the medicine and if my conditioned persisted to come back. Then I'd be checked for cancer. The doctor saw the won sign over my head and went for it. 80 dollars later the lady checking me told me it didn't look serious and was probably just the flu.

I then returned to the doctor and he wanted more. He felt I should be admitted. I rolled my eyes and told him there was no way I was staying even if my temperature was a balmy 39.6. Eventually he saw I wouldn't budge and we made a appointment for today. The one good thing is that this is Korea and as i was leaving the doctor asked me to be his private tutor. Maybe the money I've spent is just an investment.
This morning I woke up feeling much better but called in sick just to keep improving.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Many true apologies Cam......from both Odessa & me.....had such a great time seeing you and knowing that you are so true Cam I guess pieces of us just had to travel with you! Hope you are feeling stronger and cleansed......much love~