Monday, April 16, 2007

Ilsan Car Show


When it comes to cars I can identify the number of wheels, it's colour, which category of fuel efficiency it fits into (good/bad) and the important one of if I like the design or not. Anything beyond that is like speaking Korean to me, I understand a fair share of it but keep the discussion short, sweet and elementary. Again this weekend I avoided the bars but not the crowds as Saejin and I went to join my old coworkers Michelle and Tom in Ilsan for a car show on Sunday.

Ilsan is a satellite city to the North of Seoul and it's approximately a 4209 miles away from my house. Two hours and three subway transfers later Saejin and I were ready to head back home for the day but instead headed into the packed car expo. At times it felt like walking through a Safeway parking lot but the concept cars made up for it.

The hardest at work were the models smiling for hours at a time as the cars revolved on their giant turn tables. I also liked the work of the car buffers who tried in vain to keep greasy hand smudges (mine mostly as I touched every car I could) from taking away from the luxury of the cars. With the place being so packed it was hard to get a good picture but here are some anyway.



What I liked most at the car show wasn't even a car, it was the water fountain the Americans brought with their cars. It was able to drop water so precisely that it spelt out words (JEEP in this picture) and made shapes. I zoned out for a couple of minutes taking the thing in and could of spent ten more in a trance had it not been for the thousands of people who made sure to bump into me as they passed on by. Next weekend I may go back to the smoke and the booze as it's a lot more peaceful than the crowds.

1 comment:

Darth Gateau said...

smoke and booze. Always the comfiest and welcoming of options! I'm with you all the way there.