Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Soup of the Day

Lunch time was the usual fan fair of kimchi, rice, fruit, a little meat and some soup. Where it was different today was that far behind the serving counter in a small pot was a special soup cooked up just for the teachers. It was dog soup. Knowing I'm a picky eater, I wasn't offered it and the vice principal and 6th grade teacher both tried to keep it quiet as to what it really was. Shortly after I sat down to eat the 4th grade teacher was already up for seconds. As he passed me he asked if I was eating the "mung-mung"(Korean dog's bark) soup.

The other teachers at the table then asked if I had ever had it before and I had to answer yes. I've tried the broth but not the meat and admit it was tasty. Where I have some sort of problem with dog soup is that the Korean government doesn't like to admit that Koreans eat dog so there are no laws on how to humanely kill dogs. Traditionally the dogs (raised like cows) are hung up by their hind legs and beaten to death. This make the meat tougher so the men who eat it get more stamina in bed. I've seen some news programs saying the dogs aren't killed like this any more but without laws protecting them I doubt it.

No comments: