Thursday, September 06, 2007

I Think I'm Turning Korean, I Think I'm Turning Korean, I Really Think So!

It's raining again today and I'm craving Kimchi Pajoen and some makali or dongdongju to wash it down. On any given rainy day curious Koreans will ask, "What do you eat when it rains?" It's of course a rhetorical question that sets them up for a five minute speech on the glories of Pajeon, a Korean pancake that comes in many flavours (Kimchi, beef, Veggie, Seafood) and the wonders of various rice wines and why they give you a splitting headache the next day (it has to do with the amount you drink.) Today I've had these cravings all day long without anyone even mentioning rainy day traditions.

On Saturday night (yet another rainy day), Saejin and I met up with Yun Jeong and her coworker for dinner. We decided on the Rainy Day Special for dinner and found the run down, humble place in the picture above. It's down a tiny road barely big enough for a single car among a string of restaurants.

We started off on these pancakes and sidedishes before ordering up some fried up meat and veggies and a second seafood pajeon.

We downed the food with first a bottle of Makoli and then this more refined keetle of dongdongju.

This is the greasy grill right next to our table at the front of the shop where all the magic was done.

2 comments:

Darth Gateau said...

I'm so jealous! I LOVE Asian food. I also love visiting little ramshackle establishments to eat too.

sigh

envy...

Smokingloon said...

This place is definitely a ramshackle establishment. There is a loft like floor built over the fridges at the back of the shop that looks like it will fall down anytime a larger person heads up the rickety stairs.