Thursday, September 20, 2007

It's a zit.

Today I woke up with a fresh, red, volcano sized zit growing up in the corner of my forehead. It's one of those zits that needs to be popped but just hasn't stopped swelling yet to make it happen. I've been forced to carry it around with me all day where each and every class or teacher has talked to me about it. Their reactions to it were all different but the bluntness in their delivery was the same. They all spit out their comments in just under a minute after saying hi.

The concerned, "Cam teacher, what that? Ouchie?"
The confused, "Cam teacher angry? Why red here?"
The observant, "Cam teacher you face same as Jee Hae."

Koreans love to point out the obvious no matter how socially unacceptable it may be. If there is a fat person in the room, Koreans will call them fat and more often than not it's right to the persons fat face. It's definitely something we don't do back home but here it's accepted. So with a zit the size of a chocolate Hershey Kiss I exploited it as a teachable moment. I'm sure the next chance they get there will be drawing a picture of me and my ginormous "jit".

2 comments:

Darth Gateau said...

I'm loving the new, extremely cultural direction of your blog...

RL said...

In some cultures, zits are regarded as signs of wealth. Because it means one can afford to eat junk and drink booze.