Wednesday, January 16, 2008

A Suncheon Night

A couple of weeks ago Saejin and I headed down to Yeosu for the last of our friends weddings. Lucky for me Yeosu is the next town over from Suncheon where I used to work many a moon ago. So while Saejin carried on on our four hour trek to Yeosu I got off to meet up with my old Korean friends still living there. Dong Soo was my closest Korean friend there and is the King of Idioms, King of Over Dressing, King of Obscenely Early Morning Text Messages, King of Ridiculous Pictures and in short the King of Dorks. He is great fun and we started off the night by heading to a new restaurant that was amazing.

Dong Soo is a married man but always has a mysterious cast of women around him. This time it was his equally nice co-worker Trista who joined us and helped us work our way through food and booze. Minutes after meeting I was confused when she kept referring to another Cam. I soon learned that Dong Soo has stolen my name and now uses it as his English name with his students. I quickly demanded royalties and we went off to the second round where Dong Soo (aka Cam) was footing the bill.

He of course picked the shabbiest of places and brought us to a row of tents that serve cheap food and drink. Take a look below and you will see the humbleness of the place. There was no music, it was heated by a wood stove, the floor was the earth below, the servers were old and drunk and you peed outside into the field below being careful of the swirlling January winds. Basically, it was an amazing time that Seoul tries to offer but the Pojang Matchas never quite match.



All smiles.



After we ate all the live octopus and downed the last drops of battery acid known as soju we headed back into town and hit up Elvis Bar. It was great seeing Elvis and Christal again and in a complete shocker was given a free beer by Elvis.

Sooill, my old boss, also made an appearance before I had to snag a cab all the way to Yeosu where I found Saejin and his friends way too drunk to make the noon wedding a pleasant experience.

No comments: