Friday, March 14, 2008

Cocktails The Movie Wanna-bes

Last week I met up with Saejin, YunJeong and her husband to be introduced to a new student and we went all out on a nice sushi dinner. It was nice and quiet and supposed to be an early night. That was until Saejin and I decided to find a random bar for a few beer. (Always a mistake.) We chose Flair bar, a chain of bars in Korea, that are alright if you can ignore the 10 pm cocktail show.

Come this hour conversations are interrupted and customers are forced to watch the bartenders fling bottles, blow fire and make two free drinks to awful dance music. This Flair bar was Myeong Dong which is the heart of shopping for tourist in Korea (especially the Japanese). This night, most of the small bar ended up being foreigners. While one bartender does their best Tom Cruise Cocktail impression the other speaks Korean urging the customers to clap along. I did my part by taking out my camera and pretending to be impressed with a show I've now seen more times than I've seen the actual Cocktail movie.



The shows are boring but seeing as I got one of the free drinks out of it, I'll pretend to be a supporter. The one good thing about the show is that it is a conversation starter. The guy sitting next to Saejin and I turned out to be a solo tourist from Hong Kong and we ended up having a good night. But seeing as I wanted an early night, I felt very much kidnapped and forced to drink.

2 comments:

Darth Gateau said...

loving that little face of a grumpy/confused 5 year old!
awww...

Smokingloon said...

I hang out with kids all day, obviously they're rubbing off on me