Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Greet and Meet

Yesterday my afternoon of blogging and reading was interrupted by a meeting between the parents and the school's staff. It was held in the school's lunchroom (there are no gymnasiums in Korean schools) and we sat for close to an hour listening to the principal ramble on. Unfortunately for me I sat facing the only clock in the room and made a mental note of each and every movements the three hands made. Halfway through I started playing a game in my head.

Because the Principal was talking to the parents he had to use formal Korean, this leads to many of the words ending in "da" or "yo". The game I played was to count how many formal endings he could use in a one minute time frame then try to predict how many he could get through in the next minute. His personal best was 20 and my guessing skills were improving nicely as the speech slowly trickled on. The only problem with vacantly sitting there counting in my head is that I nearly missed him calling my name to stand and bow. Luckily for me he calls me "Mr. Cameron" which instinctively gets a bow from me whenever I hear it.

No comments: