Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Man Cuts #2

Tonight after teaching I went to Juno Hair to get my hair done. The lady who usually cuts my fine hair was off tonight so I got a new guy to chop away. He started off by roughing me up while shampooing/massaging my head and I tried not to show the discomfort. Between death grips down my neck and circular tugs at the hair on my head I answered the usual slate of questions Koreans need to know. (Where are you from? What are you doing here? How old are you? Are you married? You're over thirty why aren't you married?) Once he knew enough about me we made our way to the cut.

It was here that our language barrier was brought down with a mixture of English, Korean, a look through the "Man Cuts #2" book and a sketch with numbers and lines that made no sense to me at all. I have very low expectations when it comes to getting a hair cut. (When you dad has been you barber for half your life you quickly learn to accept bad hair dos.) All I requested was to not have a line in my hair separating the top and the sides and I also wanted absolutely no hockey hair ; two styles that are very popular among kids and men who get their hair cut at the cheap barbers here.

My stylist knew what I wanted and then went to work. The end result was my hair came out pretty much the same as it was. It barely looked like he did any work at all except for the removal of my annoying tail that sprouts every two months. It was a minor production but in the end I'm happy with the results.

1 comment:

Darth Gateau said...

be grateful you still have to make the journey to get your hair cut. I can now buzz my own as it's disappearing quicker than I can cope with!
Why ARE you in Korea? Just how old are you? How come you're over 30 and not married?
Questions those shrewd Koreans posed but I'd missed out on. Damn, they're good.