Thursday, July 05, 2007

Beware of Water

Summers here in Korea are equivalent to three distinct seasons back home. June really shows off Korea with it's hot days and cooler night, left over flowers from spring can still seen poking out of bushes while unspoiled blue skies roost overhead. Then comes July.

This month has a chip on its shoulder and wants to spoil the summer. Thick heavy clouds thunder in and refuse to budge. They can act nicely and create a shelter from the sun but that's not their goal. Their goal is to pump as much water as they can down onto umbrella's that stare up at them. They then silently mock people for even trying to stay dry. (Yesterday while waiting for my ride to school my pants were drenched from the end of my pockets down.) Of course it is impossible for the clouds to continue at this pace all month long. They take their breaks while I'm inside. This is when they stagnate themselves in place socking in the humidity.

This leads to August which I don't even want to think about. August is a combination of June and July but with the sun's thermostat turned on high. Everything is green, lush and fresh with pools of water catching and reflecting the sun. Sounds romantic until you think about the number of mosquitoes flying about on route to yet another breeding part. Thankfully I will miss most of this month vacationing in Canada.

**The picture above I googled. I had to be specific though: "rain in Korea" gives a million links to pictures of Korea's biggest singer, Rain.

No comments: