Friday, July 13, 2007

Nuts!

During the week, once the sun tucks itself away for the night I rarely venture out of my apartment. (I get tuckered out if I miss my 11:30 bedtime.) On Wednesday I made an exception to watch the latest Harry Potter movie. On my way to the local CGV I had to wait for the lights to change to cross the road.

It was while waiting that a drunk man saddled up beside me and started to stare. This is quite normal practice in Korea so I smiled and waited for him to voice the small talk clicking away in his head. It took some time and just as the green man invited me to walk he dug a hand into his pocket and produced a handful of unshelled peanuts. He then carefully placed them in my hand and I thanked him before doing an Oscar worthy performance of eating them. I know the peanuts were fine (a tad greasy from the humidity and pocket combo) but my mom's voice reminding me not to take things from strangers took over. Some Koreans may stare a lot and carry cold faces but there are also a lot of nice people out there that will make a small gesture no matter how odd it seems to make you feel welcomed.

No comments: