Friday, July 06, 2007

Tonight, Tomorrow and Tomorrow's Tomorrow

The plans for the weekend are vague and subject to change. (Exactly how vague I like my weekends.) Tonight is Min Jung's birthday and she has invited Saejin and I to go out to celebrate. I like being invited to Korean birthdays because you pay for nothing, whomever birthday it is has that burden.

Tomorrow, I'll try to get Saejin to call a realtor to show us around to some apartments. For my new contract I will just take the rent money instead of the house (read one room studio) they provide. There is nothing wrong with my place but after years of living in a single room I'm ready to upgrade. If I find the right spot I could end up making a profit from my rent money. In Korea you just have to pay some key money and then there is no rent- mind you the key money varies and usually is a big chunk but between the two of us we can handle it. The only problem we're having is deciding on an area that works out for both our commutes. Once we've argued over that and stressed ourselves out, that night I hope to catch a movie.

Sunday, I have vague plans to meet up with ChanYoung (my friend who went to study in England) after checking out the Monet Exhibition that is in town. I don't get art, don't feel anything looking at it but think I should be more cultured so I'll go feel pretentious.

2 comments:

Darth Gateau said...

Happy home hunting. Hope your discussions don't stress you both out too much and you can come to a good compromise. I'm really not getting the idea of key money rather than rent...

Enjoy the art - I find a little booze helps it all to look better, especially if you blur your vision a bit.

Smokingloon said...

To be honest I don't understand key money either. What you do is put down x amount of money and the more you put down the less your rent is. The owner of the house then invests this money in some bank and collects the interest. Once your rent period is up you get the key money back. Like I said I don't get it either but that's how "renting" can be done in Korea.