Thursday, July 19, 2007

Countdown Time

The students can smell the summer vacation approaching. (It disappointingly smells of new books as most kids are off to Academic Camps, private institutions or simply have more frequent visits from their bitter tutors who slog their way from house to house melting in the summer heat.) This has created a much higher energy level around the school but thankfully the majority of my classes have been canceled this week.

I've had lots of time to make up my lesson plans for next week's camp that revolves around food. Unfortunately because I work here, my school doesn't get an extra budget for the camp so we can't actually see, smell, touch, taste or make anything food worthy during this food camp. (Schools without a foreign teacher get loaned one for a week and they have a budget where students can have English food fights all week long and still have money left over.) But no matter how much my stomach rumbles while talking about food it knows that comfort food is coming soon. Those five half days just need to be endured and then it's a month straight of glorious holidays.

I'm heading back to Canada for the month of August because every time I go home it's in the middle of winter. The "Oh, you're from Canada you must like the cold" phrase no longer applies to me and when I get told this I immediately have to catch my hand from reacting as my brain has sent out orders, "Oh you're a dumb ass you must like being slapped up side the head."

First it's off to my parents patio where a lawn chair, cold beer and a pile of new books will fill my days. Then to Calgary to visit friends and my brother before journeying back here for a couple of days of recovery before the second semester begins.

Summer vacation starts in....8 more days.

3 comments:

Darth Gateau said...

I hope your last few days of work go by super quick. Enjoy your vacation. Willyou be posting from Canada?
I'll need something to read...

Anonymous said...

you left out hanging out with me, your pretty much sister haha and us drinking gin!

im trying to convince my tl (manager) to give me the august long weekend off. I talked so much and pretty much told him our life story together. haha it worked... he said we'd work something out for me!! haha i think i scored when I told him you lived in korea and he loved it there! plus i rule at my job! haha

anyway I can't wait to see you, many a picture must be taken considering the last pics were at the wedding and you made funny faces in them! lol

see you soon!

Smokingloon said...

DG - My parents internet connection is the horrible kind that dials, scretches and takes ages for a page to load. I hope to post from there but will have to fight the urge of beating up the computer.

Nicole - You better get the time off but I can't promise to not make a funny face in pictures, it's a nasty habit I have.