Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Beyonce in Seoul

The concert was amazing! Beyonce played for almost two hours and I was surprised by the number of songs I actually knew. She looked as gorgeous as ever and danced for almost the whole show. When we had bought our tickets there was a final row of "seats" in the front standing area that could have been ours but we thought we'd take the first row of the standing area behind them giving us more room to dance. (The tickets cost the same price.) When we walked into the Olympic stadium our mistake was obvious. Standing meant standing and the collapsible chairs I was expecting were completely missing. Our front row meant nothing and by the time we filed in we were much further back.

As we all gathered Michelle and I tried to be as big as we could be but our Korean friends wandered about. It didn't take long before we were all cut off from one another. Luckily as Michelle and I held our ground our friends were working on a plan. Ji Young's friend happened to be working at the concert and she was able to secure two Staff passes for us that let us go into the front section of the concert.

We used the passes to get past security and once in we'd send out one person to bring back another person. Once here we had a lot more room to get our groove on. One nosey lady did complain to the security about our little scam but when the security guard confronted Ji Young's husband, he played the race card. He said he worked for Hyundai Card (the main sponsor of the event) and was just trying to show his foreign friends a good time. This worked. Being a foreigner does have its perks sometimes.

I'll post pictures (bad hair and all) from before and after the concert (I was one of the few who honored the no pictures rule) when I track down my camera. I used it on Monday when I went hiking with a couple of teachers but it's not in my bag today. I hoping it's at home.

No comments: