Thursday, November 23, 2006

Leaping Lizards!


Heidi passed on a cute story about Nicole's daughter Olivia quoting lines from movies. One line she pulled out of the blue was about a "No dog zone." Nicole later pieced it together that it was from the movie Annie. I hadn't seen that movie since we lived in Montreal and went to find it on the Internet. Two hours later it was mine and on Tuesday I made my way through it. It wasn't as good as I remembered it being but it also wasn't as bad as I was half expecting.

The other movie I downloaded was very different. I had heard about Jesus Camp a long time ago and then when Shelly mentioned downloading it I went to check it out. I was stunned by what I saw. This documentary is about Evangelical Christians who target children to make them good Christian soldiers who must take back America (from the powerful gays and friends lobby who think global warming is real.)

What I didn't like was that their summer camp was held in Devil's Lake, N.D. which is a city I have been to many, many times. It was freightning, especially when they shook their bodies with God's blessings over everything in their path including the computer, it's PowerPoint program and all the wires that were too slow to run away in fear. It was a sad, sad moment. (Devil's Lake, like the rest of North Dakota is very Christian but the people in the movie do not reflect them all. These are the ones that give regular Christians a bad name.) Kind of like the appearance by the now famous Ted Haggard who looks and speaks as creepily and falsely as always.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, I downloaded this movie. Crazy. I've based my entire university career and future career on science and it means nothing to them? Not even cytoplasm? lol the most basic structure in a cell? I couldn't believe the way they attacked the kids. It really felt like a institutional camp where they yell at the juvi's for being bad kids. I've never seen so many kids cry in the span of an hour and a half! And that Ted Haggard guy, was he the one swaying and singing infront of the washington monument? lol that was weird. Anyway, glad you brought my attention to that documentary, it definetly had me floored!

Smokingloon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Smokingloon said...

Ted Haggard is the scary man that was preaching in Colorado. He was the one who smugly told the kid with the rat tail that he needs to work on his message because people only listen to him because for the cute factor.