Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Back to Suji

My school computer is acting like it's better than my camera and refuses to communicate. It's too bad it wants to be so snotty because this past weekend I actually went out and had some fun. Friday night was a casual dinner and drinks sort of night but on Saturday I went with Saejin out to Suji. This is the suburb south of Seoul I used to live in and loved. The air is clean and the school I worked for is my favorite school I've been at.

Saejin and I went out there to check out my friend J's language school. Her place is in an area that was just starting to fill in when I lived there but is now a proper second downtown area for Suji. We were the last to arrive at her school for the tour but this had it's advantage because we could eat as much food as we wanted and J was able to go home to get a wine opener to crack open some wine that had been dropped off. Here we learnt it was J's birthday a couple of days ago and she asked us to join her and her friend's for some sushi.

The sushi restaurant did not belong in Suji. It was huge, with the longest sushi track running along the oversized tables and single bar seating area. If it were in Seoul the plates would of been a couple of dollars more each and there would of been a longer line of hungry tummies clogging the doorway. Too bad we'd filled up on food and wine before the dinner because I could have 20 more pieces of the delicious salmon slabs racing past our table.

After dinner we went to a quiet pub for some beer. Here, Saejin and I outlasted all the others so we moved on to the original downtown of Suji where I used to live. As many of the places changed we were lucky to find Mad Dog's Pub exactly as we'd left it. It did feel odd to be there but also very comforting. It was the taxi back into Seoul at three am that was out of place.

No comments: