Friday, June 01, 2007

KTXing it South

The week that never ends is three hours away where a fresh, crisp beer and the unashamed watching of Big Brother UK are waiting. Those are my only plans I have for tonight because tomorrow morning I'm taking the bullet train to Gwangju to see my friend Martin and his fiancee...(name to be added later but I think it's Pria).

Gwangju is the biggest city near Suncheon and a place I'm familiar with. I like this place as it has a strong arts community but more because it's the birthplace of modern democratic Korea. In 1980 this city's students protested against the then military government in power and the government spazzed the way dictators do and ended up killing hundreds of protesters. They were mowed down in what has come to be known as the Gwangju Massacre . In all my visits to the city I've seen where it all took place but have yet to make it out to the museum remembering this huge moment in Korea's history.

Once that box gets ticked then I'm sure Martin and I will head to a pub somewhere and catch up. I haven't seen him in over four years (he left Korea but like many, came back) and I'm looking forward to hanging out again.

No comments: