Friday, June 15, 2007

The Curious Incident of the Drunks in the Night-time

It's cooled down the last few nights so I gave the air conditioner the night off and slept with the windows open. That was until four young guys chose to drink outside in the little park that makes up a portion of my buildings' property. They started off quietly sipping beer but soon enough they started to one up each other with their wit. It was a collision of words that ran up the building seeping into all the open windows. I woke up to someone's cackle and tried to let sleep suck me in, but it wouldn't. Laying there wide awake I wanted something to happen and knowing Koreans quick tempers I didn't have long to wait.

Somebody seven floors up from me decided their sleep was more precious than the noise makers below and started chucking full water bottles out their window. The first one was the most shocking as it made a huge splash rightly startling the revelers. They scattered and started using a collection of off colour language to describe their feelings. The four of them then worked on their counting skills trying to find which floor they saw the object thrown from. They weren't so good at this. It took them a good five minutes to work out the water bottle came from the fourteenth floor. By this time I was up on my bed peering down on them and saw them bolt into the building to start presumably slamming on somebodies locked apartment door.

As quiet descended the gang of drunks were back outside to recount the floors. They must of been confused because the only consensus they could come to was to drink more. They tried to be quiet but once the second water bottle crashed at their feet they were off again. This time they were more certain in their counting skills and ran back into the building. These events repeated themselves at least five times between 2:00 and 3:30. This was when I finally closed my windows and cranked up the air con for sleep to drag me away.

No comments: