Thursday, June 21, 2007

C.R.A.Z.Y.

Wednesday's are always a slow day at school but yesterday was especially slow because the fifth and sixth graders were off at camp. I brought in a movie to help pass the time. I first heard about C.R.A.Z.Y. when it won the Genie Award as Canada's top movie in 2005. Eventually I was able to track it down and I recommend others do it too. This French Canadian film is great example of a Canadian movie that deserves to be seen.

Because I can't be bothered to write my own, here's the plot outline from imdb.com:

It's a story of two love affairs. A father's love for his five sons. And one son's love for his father, a love so strong it compels him to live a lie. That son is Zac Beaulieu, born on the 25th of December 1960, different from all his brothers, but desperate to fit in. During the next 20 years, life takes Zac on a surprising and unexpected journey that ultimately leads him to accept his true nature and, even more importantly, leads his father to love him for who he really is. A mystical fable about a modern-day Christ-like figure, "C.R.A.Z.Y" exudes the beauty, the poetry and the madness of the human spirit in all its contradictions. Written by Jean-Marc Vallée

I read on-line that an American studio is thinking about remaking it in English which would be a huge mistake. I understand it's in a different language and general Americans movie goers aren't the brightest but this movie isn't made for them. It's made for people who like a strong storyline and the differing relations at work within it.

No comments: