Friday, June 22, 2007

The new Computer/Language Lab

A few months ago our school learnt that it was getting some money from the school board and City Hall to build a new computer/language lab. Since then I've heard everyday quoted as being the starting date. I once had a teacher actually insist the work had already begun. She said this as we were standing in the room.

From the sketchy information leaked my way I've learnt the starting date is now next Wednesday and they will finish up just in time for summer vacation a month later. Confused? Me too. But I did see the sixth graders empty out their room so I'm confident work will star this time. Tomorrow (kids come to school every 2nd Saturday - I don't work Saturdays) all the computers are leaving this room and heading into the now empty sixth grade room while my shelving of books and flashcards will receive refuge status in the music room. I spent all morning ripping down posters and packing them away so that I'll have them once things return to normal. I then went through my computer and transfer files and website information I wanted to keep because this old heap of junk is headed to China to be dismantled and or pollute.

It will be an interesting month as I teach out of different classrooms and have no real home base at school. But I just need to keep reminding myself that the new room is worth the wait and a month's vacation home in Canada will cure me of any left over discomfort.

No comments: