Friday, February 02, 2007

January's Gifts

Here are a collection of gifts my students shared with me this month:

Two purple balls that are the Korean equivilant to skittles. These came out of a lint filled pocket where the student had earlier emptied the package.

A sliver of chocolate another student broke off with sweaty mitten hands one cool day. I didn't eat either gift but thanked the thoughful kids for the food anyway.

This of course was my favorite present. Da Hyun is a girl who refuses to speak English to me but always wants to talk. She wrote me a long letter all in Korean thinking I could read and understand it. Along with the note she handed me a globe with a gold pig relaxing on it's back in it.

When you shake the pig ball up tiny gold float about like one of those snow globes. Saejin read me the letter which said she missed me while I was sick and how she will try to be a good student. Needing to fill the whole note up she then told me she could ride a bicycle very well. It was really cute and I know she put a lot of effort into the task so I love it and have yet to throw it out.

No comments: