Monday, February 26, 2007

"Special day" = Eating Out

This morning while I was teaching I noticed a lot of new faces peering into the class or passing by. This isn't out of the ordinary as parents loved to stare in but these people were all dressed up in their finest work clothes. It was first impression day so all the new staff were in their Sunday's best and very smiley faced. I met the new vice principal and he seemed to have a nice demeanor which is good because at lunch time we eat together. There are two new teachers and I am happy they both speak some English.


Because it was a special day (these last two weeks have been full of "special days") we all went out for lunch. Today we went to the funnest looking building around our school called Tofu Village. The principal started out the meal by torturing us with each new staff members resume. It took some time and I did nod off until he ended his performance in uttering three magical words, "Waitress, alcohol please." This brought the soju to the tables and rounds of cheers for the new year. The president of the PTA was the one fueling the good wishes by circling the table and making us all drink out of the same cup. Remember, this is all at lunch. Luckily I'm back onto half days so I was able to come home and crash. The others had to pretend to work while sobering up.

1 comment:

Darth Gateau said...

half days!! I want your life.

I spend full days endlessly talking to hopefuls wanting to fly for our airline. No fancy lunches, no alcohol allowed (against Co. rules!), no funny looking buildings.
sigh... I suppose I, at least get to travel to cool places now and again and the people I interview are usually perky, fun and mostly attractive!
A little lunch-time booze would be great tho...