Saturday, September 23, 2006

Fighting at the Family Mart

I'm starting to learn more about my neighbourhood. Last night around 11:30 there was fighting again outside my place. When I moved into this place I thought the convenience store on the main floor would be great but turns out it's where the prefighting preparations take place.

Outside of almost every convenience store are a collection of tables and wobbly plastic chairs to sit on. Patio seating in Korea is very limited so if you want to drink outside these places are pretty much the only place to go. They are great because drinks are cheap (a bottle of soju is just over 1 dollar), snacks are readily available (from chips to peanuts to dry fish) and there are no enforced laws saying you can't.

I was exhausted last night and am assuming there will be many more fights this year so I just closed my window and put the air conditioner on. Tonight is Sung Ho's birthday party and we are going out for dinner and drinks in Hongdae.

No comments: