Thursday, September 14, 2006

The World's Easiest Job


I started my new job this past Tuesday and have taught a grand total of two classes. Because this is the first week I've been busy decorating the classroom with English but once I'm done that I'm sure I'll be bored silly. My classroom has a computer I can play around on and I will be reading a lot more once I get things organized. I may even use the free time to study Korean. (note the may)

Last night the school took me out for a welcoming dinner. We ate roasted duck filled with rice, nuts and rasins. The dinner was going along nicely until the fifth grade teacher Mr. Oh arrived and he started pouring soju for me and the sixth grade teacher Mr. Kang. After eating I headed home trying to avoid going on to the second round. I had just gotten out of my clothes when I got a blunt phone call, "I five grade teacher. Come first floor you building. Soju go." and then he hung up. They knew where I lived because they drank a few times with the last teacher.

I got dressed again and waiting for me outside were the 5th and 6th grade teachers. We then walked to a fish restaurant and had three more bottles of soju (which I never drink but struggled through as to not offend). We talked using my four chapters worth of Korean and their broken English. It was a good time and they seem to be quite nice people. It was about midnight when I headed home and I had to be up at 7 this morning. Right now I'm at work and feeling like crap. I want to go home but have to wait until 5 o'clock.

No comments: