Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Hong Kong Island





I'm not sure what you were doing at five-thirty AM Friday morning but it probably didn't involve waiting outside in the chilly autumn air waiting for a bus. This was the start of the trip to Hong Kong. This city is an amazing place and definitely worth checking out. Saejin and I stayed at the YMCA in Kowloon where a two minute walk brought us to the Ferry crossing and it's great view of Hong Kong Island. We quickly boarded the next Star Ferry across and planned to find the world's longest set of escalator to head up the Peak Tram.

This plan soon ended when we saw a double Decker bus was also headed to the peak and parked right where we exited. Without thinking too much about it we ran up the bus' stairs and sat down. The bus started to roll but we really didn't know where to get off. From our travel guide (which I like to use only in emergencies but Seajin has glued to his nose) we confirmed that bus did go to the peak but it said little else.

There was little more to do than sit back and enjoy the views of buildings cropping out to impossible heights balanced on the side of a mountain. Because it was a British colony the bus drove on the left hand side and as the narrow road rose to the top of the hill out the window we looked down into the forest below. At almost every turn Saejin and I squealed like frightened pigs. (I don't think the locals thought much of us.) An hour later the bus stopped in a dark underground parking lot and Saejin and I were not impressed. The view was impressive but obviously of the back side of Hong Kong Island. This wasn't the investment we were going for when we set off on the lengthy bus ride but after a little wandering we soon found the other side of the mountain.

***Blogger isn't letting me up load pictures now so I will post later about the real side of the mountain it's gorgeous view later.***

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know exactly what you mean about the left hand sided driving. damn was I scared in england when Andy was driving. Not only were we driving fast but its was opposite to what i was use to!! I screamed quite a bit too! Especially in London! The M5 was interesting as well... huge freeway and they all complain about speed camera's when they are clearly marked and huge and yellow! here... they are hidden and you hardly ever know!

I knew you'd love hong kong! Mom really loved it there and would love to go back! I'd like to go one day, it sounds amazing!

Glad your having a great time!

Nicole