Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Thumbsucker....Walter Kirn

I love to read. I now get paid to read for the last hour of my day and couldn't be happier. In the sidebar I have links to the books I 'm currently reading. Today I finished up Walter Kirn's Thumbsucker. As a reformed thumbsucker I instantly pulled this book from the shelf in the bookstore about six months ago. I read the back cover and didn't even hesitate to buy it.

This book was an easy read, amusing and entertaining. The story is about teenager Justin Cobb trying to find his way in life. He takes on recreational and prescribed drugs, debates, fishing and religion all in an attempt to set his life on a path. There are many funny stories and some just plain disturbing ones. Nothing really goes as planned for Justin until he accepts fate.

After buying the book I found out it was made into a movie. I watched it tonight but didn't really like it. Like most movies based on a novel this missed a lot of details. I was also annoyed that it choose all the nice parts and avoided anything controversial. Read the book for a light read. Avoid the movie.

No comments: