Tuesday, September 05, 2006

I Buy Lotto Tickets so Why Can't I be a Millionaire?

I finish up my year contract this Thursday and can't be happier. This year has been my least favorite teaching wise in Korea. The school I have been at hasn't been a horror story it's just only been fair. They were good enough to let me go two days early on my contract and that's the nicest thing I can say about the school. The reason I asked to leave early was so I could make it to my best friend Jackie's wedding this weekend in England.

Jackie and Rob are getting married in his hometown in Northern England. I booked my flight without checking timetables and made many flawed assumptions. I was to leave on Friday morning and by my math I'd arrive in London around mid afternoon (flawed assumption #1...the time difference isn't the same as flying into Vancouver). I then thought I'd easily board a plane to New Castle a few hours later and have all night Friday to hang out (flawed assumption #2...London is a huge city with many airports). Because my flight actually arrived in London at night the earliest I could make it there was the Saturday morning (aka...The day of the wedding). Getting back to Korea in time for my next contract I would of had to leave around noon on the Sunday. This meant I'd only see Jackie for just over 24 hours (flawed assumption #3...There's no way I could sleep in their hotel room).

In Korea you can book flights at anytime and pay for them two weeks before you go. When it was my time to pay I talked to Jackie to see if I should really make the trip. I was nervous I wouldn't make in back in time for my new job and flying out of Heathrow around September 11th there are bound to be disruptions. But after we chatted about this Jackie had me on the flight. So I paid for my ticket. The weekend (three full days in my head) would be a blast and well worth it. Then when I actually got the ticket and saw the real times (not the imaginary Cam friendly timetable) I was forced to cancel the ticket and pay the $90 service charge.

I feel horrible because I've know Jackie since the third grade and should be there. I will definitely try to make it up to her soon by sending her a great gift and by hopefully visiting this winter.

No comments: