Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Hospital, Police Station and a Restaurant

My running around on barely four hours of sleep started right after work when I hopped a cab to Itaewon. My first stop was the International clinic for my check up. The sixty year old doctor tried to appear hip and approachable with a "What's up?" greeting and a name tag printed in soft blue tones. He was alright but I was literally in and out of his office in under two minutes. From then on it was his minions who prodded, poked and photocopied me. The peeing in the cup was difficult seeing as I had gone before I got into the taxi but given time I was able to reach the desired line. I'm interested to see these result though because I placed the cup in what I thought was the correct slot but which turned out to be the hand disinfecting machine.

After this I thought I would see if the police station down the street was able to do some fingerprints. I need to get a criminal background check to work in the public school and the RCMP will only release it if I submit my paw prints. The officers understood what I wanted but didn't have the correct ink to do it so they improvised with some hard ink pad. The only non English speaking officer in the place tried for several minutes to rub just enough ink on my finger but then I always ended up smudging the print. He then tried to help by twisting my uncooperative fingers directly onto the paper. But it was no good. I guess fingerprinting isn't a high priority here. I will have to ask Heidi where she got hers done.

With a grumbling stomach I was finally able to end my eight hour fast and went directly to the Pita Pit. The sign claims they're healthy but the amount of toppings included in the pita swell it up bigger than a human head; this much food in one sitting can't be good. What's worse is that I ate mine in only five bites.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cam, I totally understand the background check part of your day! I've had 2 done in the past 2 months. One for work (I guess cause where I work, if you had fraud in your background... that would be bad!) and the next is because I'm a respite worker for foster care.

While leaving the police public works office I got rear ended! I tell ya, Winnipeg drivers are something else! Just what I needed after having to pay $15 to have someone stamp a peice of paper saying I'm not registered! But unlike you, I didn't have to go as far as getting fingerprints! How long did that ink last on your hands? haha

And congrads on finishing a pita in 5 bites! Usually takes me 25-30 mins to eat mine! Take care!