Sunday, August 20, 2006

Road Trip To Geochang...1


Saturday morning despite all the weather warnings CNN had been forecasting for the weekend, Saejin and I boarded an express bus for Geochang. This is Sung Ho's hometown and we had been promising to head there for weeks now. The three and a half hour long bus ride wasn't as bad as I had been thinking it would be. The low clouds created misty valleys to help pass the time. Saejin and I are both guilty of making up stories as to why we need to stay in Seoul. I hate the stale travel time while Saejin has etched somewhere in his brain a need for crowds and lights that only Seoul can offer. Besides he's also scared of any wildlife and finds the way country folk talk is funny.

Sung Ho had left Seoul on Friday night and was waiting for us when we hopped off the bus. He let us in on the plan and we were off to his parents house. Mrs. Sung Ho is one of the nicest ladies I've ever met and now after eating her home cooked meal I've moved into the spare bedroom. She prepared the best Samgae Tang (Chicken Soup) I've had in a long time. The chicken melted off the bones and all the onions, hot peppers and garlic were fresh from her garden. I would of been happy with just this but as soon as all the meat disappeared, 2/3 into my belly and 1/3 on my face, rice porridge appeared with a huge tray of Korean grapes, green apples and Asian pears. It was a great way to kill a rainy afternoon and the perfect start to the roadtrip.

(I have to post in segments to keep the pictures in order. I'm anal that way.)

No comments: