Sunday, August 20, 2006

Sunday's Tremolo # 4

The Common Loon has a call named the tremolo. This "insane laughter", voiced rapidly is an alarm that shows agitation or fear of predators or other loons in the neighbourhood. On Sundays, I have chosen to be opinionated and to share news, policies and or laws that agitate and scare me.

By spending the weekend out of town and being too busy tonight catching up on the final 3 episodes of Big Brother UK I'm unable to come up with a great (ok blog filler) tremolo. My tremelo this week will have to be a comment on this show and how to win. This show is pure TV heroin that hooked me from day one and 93 days later I'm happy that Pete came out on top even thought Glyn, the runner up, was my choice. These top two made it into the final two by simply being real, by not gossiping about others and by never lying.

This show captures every conversation each person had and lets viewers in on the day's happenings. Many of the evictees were sent packing because they would gossip and deny or just create drama others didn't care for. When cameras surround you I have no idea why anybody on this show would even think about spreading lies. You're going to be found out and even if you fool you're housemates the public who votes on your length of stay will eventually weed you out.

I don't understand why people lie. "Liar, liar pants on fire" is the best playground taunt ever created (K-I-S-S-I-N-G being a close second) because it keeps kids in line. As children, nobody likes being labeled a fibber or as a storyteller. But once you leave the cruelty of childhood for the brutality of the real world many people seem to forget this classic tune. I'm not saying I'm perfect or that I never lie because you can just scroll down to read my Lies I've Told This Week entry. I enjoy good stories but hate when they're told to make you feel better about yourself.

Earlier this week I watched a documentary about Hurricane Katrina and how prisoners were left stranded in one of the jails. The town's sheriff chose to do little to help them out. This spring he had to run for re-election and like all politicians he made some commercials preaching about the great work he had done. According to the people interviewed, this man did little or none of what he claimed to have done. I understand politics is about creating an imagine but authoring a whole lot of lies is terrible. What's worse is that this man won even though others pointed out his inconsistencies.

No comments: