Thursday, August 24, 2006

Lunch Time

A financial crunch has Shelly bringing her own lunch to work. This has left me to eat alone and forced me to make my own food choices (not my best skill). Usually we eat together and bounce between Korean fast food, fried pork cutlets and Pho soup. We have never eaten a sandwich together. I love sandwiches and could eat one for lunch everyday but being in Korea its hard to find a decent sandwich joint.

There is one near the school but the time I eat lunch is when every office worker in the area drinks a coffee. This fills up the small shop and leaves the single worker behind the counter overloaded with only coffee on her mind. I'd have to take a number and wait if I wanted to eat here. By lunch time my stomach is ready for its top off, I can't politely handle a line up.

This leads me to eat one lovely creation from the local bakery. This is how they make it. Take one fresh, slightly sweet baguette and cut it diagonally in the middle. On one half, fold in a flat scrambled egg and top this goodness with a slice of ham. This then provides the perfect platform for a long thick piece of processed crab, onions and shreads of iceberg lettuce. Slathered on and I mean really drench this combo with a mixture of runny mayo and mustard. Under all this sauce may or may not be a slice of cheese. I've never seen it but think I tasted a hint of cheese poking it's head up from the dressing in a desperate attempt not to drown. It may sound like an odd combo for a sandwich but I actually like it. I could eat it about once every two weeks but much rather eat with Shelly.

No comments: