Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Choosok Holiday #1...Live Octopus





I mentioned that I have this week off from work and since sneaking past the principal a few minutes early on Friday I have been busy. Friday night I stayed close to my house because in the cycle known as moving, Seajin called on me to help him move offices. His new place is right on the main street in Kangnam and is bigger than the office he was in. All I had to do was unplug computers and pack up a few boxes. No heavy lifting from me. Seajin hired a moving crew and they were awesome. They moved the whole office in just over two hours.

Later on Saturday night is where Saejin, Sung Ho and I met an old coworker of mine named Mary. She now has a University gig but lives outside of Seoul so she doesn't come into town often. We met up in Sinchon for a few starter drinks before walking the back streets to Hongdae. Right near "The Sexy Pig" restaurant we found a great bar where we classed it up drinking wine and snacking on cheese. Our next round was definitely a step down in terms of class but a quantum jump in originality and low overhead.

As we were walking we found a group of people standing around a small truck lined with lights that was playing some funky music. We quickly learnt it was a moving bar selling highballs (you can drink anywhere in Korea). Here we topped off before going for some food.

We picked the Fish and Grill restaurant where could eat live octopus. It's pulled from the tank and immediately chopped up and served twitching on a plate. It's suction pads still work so there is the rumour that exists about making sure you chew it well. If you just swallow it whole it's said that the leg will cling to your throat and you choke to death. I hate seafood but love this stuff because it tastes of nothing but the sesame oil you dunk it in.

No comments: