Friday, October 06, 2006

Choosok Holiday #5...An Empty City

For Choosok, Koreans go to their hometowns and bow. Today is the day of the bowing leaving Seoul empty. It was weird waking up and not have a chain of honking buses running outside my window. I went for a jog and the path along the stream was barren of unstable rollerbladers arms stretched out taking up the whole lane and void of mad bicyclers zipping past inches from making contact. I also ran past a normally busy subway stop and failed to see any escaloitering taking place.

(I found this new word on a local website where morons go to bitch about Korea. 99.9% of the time these people annoy me but I did chuckle when I saw this creative word. Escaloiter: (v.) the act of stepping off a moving escalator and then stopping immediately in the path of all those behind while looking around (usually with an expression of confusion or vacuousness). This does happen in Korea but you can push them out of the way without them getting upset.

No comments: